Pork with Mustard Leaves
- Wash rice and soak it in water for 15 minutes and then drain off water. Spread it on a dry and clean surface, till they are crisp. Grind it to a powder.
- Wash pork and drain thoroughly then cut into 2" pieces.
- Wash mustard leaves and shred by hand.
- Place pork in a pan over low heat without any oil or water, and let it cook till water from the pork evaporates and a reddish sediment starts appearing. Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- When the fat starts melting, mix in mustard leaves, green chillies and salt. Cook till the mustard leaves are cooked.
- Cover pan and cook over low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Then add 2 cups water, and cover pan again and cook for 10 more mitues
- Mix the rice powder and soda or sodium bicarbonate, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cook till pork is tender and gravy thickens.
Remove from heat, pour contents into a bowl and serve with steamed rice or pulao.
NE Belly - The Basic North East Cook Book