Submitted by admin on Mon, 2012-08-06 10:00
|Source||NE Belly - The Basic North East Cook Book|
Fish Barbecued in Banana Leaves
1 kgFish fillet
1 drIndigenous soda (or a 1/2 tsp Sodium bicarbonate)
- Wash fish, and drain thoroughly. Then chop finely. Combine fish with remaining ingredients (except banana leaves).
- Clean banana leaves with a damp cloth from both sides, dry anc pass over a open flame to make them flexible (take care not to burn the leaves). Then cut the leaves into 5" squares. (*instead banana leaves, foil can be used but it would need 3-4 wrapping
- Spoon about 2 tbsp of mixture in centre of each banana leaf and fold to form parcels. Tie with cotton string to secure parcels.
- Cook fish parcels over a charcoal fire (it can also he cooked in an oven preheated to 180"C) for about 15 minutes, turning them from time to time for even cooking, till leaves turn brown.
- Prepare a bowl to serve, cover it with banana leaf.
- Open parcels, empty contents into a bowl and serve it with steamed rice.